Saturday 2 July 2011

What I Was

What I Was  - Meg Rosoff
What I WasRating: 6/10

Toward the end of his life, H looks back on the relationship that has shaped and obsessed him for nearly a century. It began many years earlier at St. Oswald’s, a dismal boarding school on the coast of England, where the young H came face- to-face with an almost unbearably beautiful boy living by himself at the edge of the sea. 


Summary by Goodreads.com


Whilst I vaguely enjoyed the story, the characters, the plot I was disappointed to find them simple, linear and straightforward. The novel lacked for me the strong romantic aspect that the blurb suggested and the ending proved to be unfulfilling, merely a method for collecting loose ends in an unsatisfactory way. The whole novel led to a feeling of expectancy, constantly waiting for something that would barely appear, this detracted from an overall enjoyment of the book. However a unique portrayal and sense of writing saved the book from being utterly unreadable, the book was spot on for its target audience of young adults/ teens and I would not dissuade others from reading.

Good points: 

  • Nice easy reading
Bad points:
  • Lacks the strong romantic aspects of a romance novel
  • Unfulfilling, misfit conclusion
Buy/Borrow/Avoid:
Borrow

0 comments:

Post a Comment