Monday 20 June 2011

Lord Loss

Lord Loss - Darren Shan

Lord Loss (The Demonata, #1)Rating: 8.5/10

Grubbs Grady has stiff red hair and is a little big for his age, he hates history and loves bacon, rats, and playing tricks on his squeamish older sister. When he opts out of a family trip, he never guesses that he is about to take a terrifying journey into darkness. Hungry demons and howling werewolves haunt his waking nightmares... and threaten his life.


With some awesomely gory imagery, this book brings to life characters of nightmarish qualities and imaginative concepts. I found that the book had just the right 'scare-factor,' if it were targeted at older audiences then the novel would have been beyond my comfort zone, not one to normally jump straight into horror stories, on the other hand due to being aimed at slightly younger readers than myself I found the book lacked a certain finesse and quality of writing that I have recently grown accustomed to. All in all an enjoyable story that definitely makes me want to read on in the series.
Good Points:

  • Suitable for a range of readers from 10+
  • Imaginative plot lines and characters 
  • Great thriller/gore scenes 
Bad Points:
  • Found myself wanting the book to have contained more blood and gore than it did. 
  • Slightly alienates older readers.
Buy/Borrow/Avoid:
Buy - I got it super cheap from Waterstones - £1 
Hurry while offers last ;] 


0 comments:

Post a Comment